Monday, August 01, 2005

Fireman are people too...

It's funny. Ms. K recently loaned me a book titled "Always Talk to Strangers". Now, I'll be honest, this book is a book of dating advice. To be more clear, it's a book of advice on how to go about getting a date. She purchased it after I had seen it in the bookstore and told her it looked like it would make for interesting reading. The reason I mention this is because the advice holds for other situations.
Remember when we were children and our parents continuously reminded us not to talk to strangers? Do you remember how we were admonished for talking to the little old lady next to our shopping cart in the stores? No, no, mustn't do that. I began to rethink this just a smidge while writing last night. I realized near the end of my writing sprint that I would need to talk to someone about how to set a fire. No, I'm not about to become an arsonist, but one of my characters just might. I'm woman enough to admit when I do not know enough about something, and no amount of watching CSI is going to give me the knowledge.
No sooner had I decided that a field trip to the local firestation was in order, then three firemen walk into Starbuck's while I'm writing. For the most part my friends will agree I'm not the shy, retiring type. If i set my mind to something I'll do it. Especially if I don't give myself too much time to think it through.
So up I marched to the two firemen and one (upon closer inspection) high school kid doing volunteer work, and asked if they had a moment to answer a few questions. I explained I was a writer, and that I had some questions about setting fires, mostly on what kind of fire would be best to have someone set if he has no prior experience and little reason to kill anyone. Hayden and Jeff were both kind enough to answer my questions on fire setting, as well as offer some additional, non-fire methods of wreaking havoc. Both seemed very happy to help a potential best seller in the making.

So today we dedicate this blog to the Redmond Fire Fighters, Hayden and Jeff in particular. Hopefully I'll be able to present the firehouse with a copy of this book one day as a thank you :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home