Wednesday, August 10, 2005

It's all about the pages, baby!

Writers live in an interesting world. Our world is not about how many years we've been writing, or how many times we have submitted a manuscript. No, our world comes down to the following more often than not: How many pages did you write this week?

Our success is based on how much we write. Those weeks when I get only 2 pages done? Not happy weeks. I can tell myself that I'm busy, that I have homework, that I have to work. But in the end, I've only done my 2 pages. On the other hand, how proud am I when I can say I wrote 16 pages in one week? Or 20? The difference in self-esteem during those times is mind-boggling.

And all writers suffer from it. We all set goals in our minds (or our editors set them for us). We have to write a chapter, two chapters, the frickin' book. It all adds up to great, anxiety driven moments that are enough to make us crazy. And you all wonder why we talk to ourselves.

So with that said, I'm proud to announce that in the last two days, I've written 12 pages. *takes a bow*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home