Thursday, August 18, 2005

Tailgating and other driving no-nos...

Seattle and it's environs has another very interesting phenomenon. It's called poor driving. Now, i realize that some of you around the country would stand up and say to me, "NO! We have the worst drivers ever here in [insert name of city/state]." Unfortunately, we'll have to agree to disagree.
I should also preface this with the announcement that is not a surprise to many of you: I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, the world's best driver. I'm decent. I make stupid mistakes on occasion, but I'm a decent driver when all is said and done.

So, the incident that prompted this blog happened on the way home from biking with mom this a.m. The area where I live tends to have low speed limits, and they do not post often. Sometimes you have to guess. That's okay, it adds to the fun and adventure of it all. We were on a pretty major road that specifically states in bold, black on white print 40 mph. So, okay, I drive at about 42 mph. Usually I have no problem with the 5 miles over rule of thumb, but keep in mind I have a rather large bicycle strapped to the back of my car and I don't feel like losing it on the way home. I'm picky like that. So, I'm driving along, minding my own business (happen to be behind my mom who is also driving at a reasonable speed), keeping a good amount of distance between me and the car in front of me (don't feel like having an accident either). And some idiot decides that I'm not going fast enough, so he's going to drive as close to me as possible in an attempt to make me go faster. Now, I would hope that I don't have to point out the stupidity of his actions.
1)Do not tailgate in a Chevy Malibu. It just makes you look sad and pathetic.
2)Do not tailgate a woman driving a car bigger than yours, the larger car will win.
3)Do not tailgate behind someone with a bicycle strapped to the back of their car. Especially when said bike is held down by two bungee cords and two pieces of old, ripped up towel that may or may not hold if I hit a bump.
4)Do not tailgate ME. i'm just perverse enough to slow down to just exactly at the speed limit in order to pay you back.
5) When i make a face at you as you attempt to pass me, do not look at me like i'm the crazy one. it's just bad karma

as a side note, they have now finally patched up the holes in the ceiling, repainted and are bringing a new light bulb for the new fixture. I'm also one very large bruise from yet another attempt at bicycle acrobatics. You'd think by now i would have learned my lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home