Monday, October 10, 2005

The muse at work...

Interestingly enough, my friend Shannon posted on this a while back. I found myself pondering the issue of my muse the other day. It seems to me that all writers fear the end of ideas. Some more than others. With as busy as I've been the last couple of weeks, I fear the end of time. As in, not enough time for everything. As most of you know, I am frantically trying to finish off my current WIP in hopes of getting to revisions, and eventually submissions. In the midst of all this madness, I was hit straight upside the head by my muse. "A witch book!" she cried, smacking me again. "Well fine," was my answer. "But not now, I'm kind of busy, in case you didn't notice." My muse, stubborn thing that she is, didn't care. "Look! Look how great this idea is!" And so she granted me a peak at the opening scene. *sigh* She's right. It is a great idea. One that will be oh, so much fun to write. But alas, it will wait.

"You're going to forget it," she warned.

"Yeah, maybe. But see, that's why I wrote it down. Now I have the bare bones and can go back to my regularly scheduled life."

"Ha!" she mocked. Yes, I have a rather sarcastic muse. She doesn't like to be ignored, and she certainly doesn't like to wait. Instant Gratification, that's her thing.

To spite her, I worked more on the WIP. Ha! That'll show her.

So now I have my WIP, which still talks to me ad nauseum. It wants to be finished already. Shayna and Nate are done goofing around. They want to know if Mom and Bubbe are finally going to leave. Heck, I want to know if they are ever going to leave. In the meantime, the characters with no names (nope, the muse doesn't like to help out quite that much) are dancing a polka in my brain, screaming, "Pick us! Pick us!"

*sigh* No one said being a writer was easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home