Wednesday, November 16, 2005

It's that time of year again...

Which time, you ask? Yes, I do realize this could apply to a whole lot of things. Colds (yup, I have one), holiday decorations (up as of last Wednesday at Starbucks), gift buying (I don't even want to hear about any of you who are done shopping), and the ever fun gift exchange. Now, I know I've mentioned my wonderful writer friends. These ladies help to keep me (mostly) sane, and take my neuroses in stride (for the most part). For example, they put up with my cries of "Hell, no!!" at inappropriate times during songs that question my religion. They pat me gently on the shoulder when I hate to break the news that there IS NO Santa Clause. And they forgive me for not ever having seen It's A Wonderful Life.
But the best part was our recent discussion about our annual gift exchange. Okay, annual in that we did it last year and will do it again this year. Traditionally such acts are called Secret Santa. However in deference to me, one friend suggested that we call it Secret Angels. Which I gotta admit makes the whole thing more palatable. Not that I'm against Secret Santa. But it's hard to give the big guy any kind of credit when you're busy avoiding giant trees overladen with shine globes and dancing around tinsel while trying to light your eight tiny candles in hopes that you'll be home long enough to let them burn down.
So yes, it's that time of year again. Time to for me to complain about the inordinate amounts of green tinsel flying everywhere. Time for me to stop listening to certain radio stations who will soon switch to all Christmas music. And time for me to start digging around to figure out who I'm getting gifts for, who I've agreed we'll only do cards, and where I actually have to go for such things.

6 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Well, as one of those particular "friends" you referred to, all I can say is that I can't wait until that 24/7 Christmas music station starts up (the day after Thanksgiving if memory serves), and yes I am already halfway through my gift shopping (ducking your attempt to punch me right now), but I must draw the line at green tinsel. ;-) But to be honest, even though I grew up with the whole Santa thing, the mere thought of some fat man dressed in the equivalent of a red flannel leisure suit with trim showing up in my house in the middle of the night scares the crap out of me. In this day and age, I think I'd be more apt to mace him! ;-)

Christina

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget complaining about the Chanaku decorations out before Halloween. Must not forget that. :~ ) LOL.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Erin said...

It really is a wonder you don't hear about Santa getting attacked more often, if you ask me. I mean, really, he sneaks into people's houses in the middle of the night and eats their food. Where I come from, we call that a thief. Nevermind that he leaves a mess when he goes.
And I'm really not surprised you enjoy the 24/7 Christmas music :D You get into the whole holiday spirit. I actually expect it of you!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Erin said...

What Chanukah decorations? where have you seen them? I've been looking!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

I saw some great Menorah (sp?) shaped strings of lights in a catalog of mine. Totally thought of you, Erin! ;-)

Christina

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Erin said...

oh dear...see, i knew posting about this could get me in trouble

 

Post a Comment

<< Home