Saturday, January 21, 2006

I touched a crayfish...

So, the science unit I'm teaching is entitled Structures of Life. We start with beans (and other seeds) and eventually we'll look at snails. Of course, before the snails come the crayfish. Now, some of you know me well enough to know that I do not handle creepy crawlies all that well. In fact, they freak me out. There's no good way to say it. I shudder at the mere thought of having to touch one. Can I get away with scooping one up in a cup to show the kids? No! No, I have to pick it up (to show them how to handle them), and then I have to hold it while I point out the various features on the dang things. Yuck! I'll have about 2 days next week to get myself used to them. Thursday I managed to pick one up for a whole 15 seconds. Unfortunately, they skittered away on Friday, and that just creeped me out, so I didn't even try.
*sigh* This could make for a long week. Cross your fingers for me!

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Oh, you'll be fine. Just remember that they scoot backwards at a pretty good clip. I don't remember if they pinch. But as I recall, once you do pick them up, they go kinda limp. I think the best way to get them would be to take out everything they can get under, chase them until they get to a wall and can't back away anymore, then distract them with waving fingers on their front end, while you sneak the other hand over them and pick them up.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Oh, wait. You've already picked one up. Dur....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home