Saturday, January 07, 2006

Who the hell told me knitting was relaxing?

Who ever it was that convinced me knitting is relaxing, thank you. Thank you for my cramped fingers, my thirty minutes of trying to figure out a damn slip knot, and my developing headache.
Thank you Mom, for telling me that I would be able to start such a large project, and that it would be fun.

In case you can't tell, I've picked up knitting again. I say again because it has been about 15 years since I last knit. Growing up, my Bubbe taught me all kinds of needle work: knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, crosstitch (I learned to latch-hook at camp, so that doesn't count). Now ever since I received my lovely scarf from Megan, I've been compelled to pick up knitting again, and when Mom told me she was going to learn, I told her I'd do it to.
So today I began my first project. It's rather ambitious, but should be beautiful when it's done. It's a soft buttery yellow, and it could take me a very long time to complete considering everything else I try to do.

But see, there's always a catch. Today's catch is that while knitting itself can be relaxing, actually beginning the project (especially one as large and ambitious as mine) is a bitch. First off, I forgot how to actually start the darn thing. Mom told me she'd help me tomorrow, but as many of you know I'm impatient. Rather than wait for tomorrow morning, I decided I needed to know NOW. What do you do when you must start a new project at this very minute?
You look it up on the internet.
Three websites later, I finally find one with instructions I can follow...complete with handy dandy (read: useless) pictures to aid me. Three tries later, and I manage to get a good start on my first row of stitches.

And so here I sit, at almost midnight, fingers aching, trying to finish casting on the last stitches so that I can begin my project in ernest tomorrow. All I can say is this, the recipient better frickin' appreciate this.

5 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Tee! Hee! Chortle. Snigger. I'm off to see the Wizard, the Wonderul Wizard of Oz.!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

OMG, Erin! I felt like I was reading my very own reaction from a year ago when my mom taught me to knit! ;-) That is exactly all that I went through while learning the ever so "relaxing" act of knitting. Cramped fingers from knitting too tight of stitches (you couldn't even see light through mine!), a pinched up face from furrowing my brow until I gave myself a headache from concentrating so hard and the frustration of that dang slip knot. But trust me, eventually you do relax your hands as you get used to it all and pretty soon you won't have to even pay much attention. Just remember to count your stitches at the end of each row. I'm really good at either adding stitches that never existed. ;-) Good luck!

Christina

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your project! I hope it all turns out!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Maura Anderson said...

I knit also, along with all of the other crafts your Bubbe taught you. Though you can throw in tatting, bobbin lace making and some others too, courtesy of my grandmother - I was the only granddaughter with any talent for them so she taught me ALL the ones she knew!

If you ever need help on a meeting night, drag the project to the meeting and I'll help you!

I'm working on a suede poncho and starting an aran sweater knit along at the moment.

- m

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Master crafter in the house! I'll definitely need some help when I finally get to the end of the darn thing. Right now it's simply going through the motions of working on it :D Thanks Maura! And welcome to the madness :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home