Sunday, February 19, 2006

Hello, Muse. Welcome back!

Ah, the elusive Muse. She's an interesting creature. Just when you think she's left you for good, she returns, ready to party. Ever since I finished my last manuscript, and began revisions, I've been worried what would I do next? I have 3-4 plot ideas I've been bouncing around, but none yelled out to me. None of them grabbed me by the throat and yanked until I accepted that this one was the one I should write next. I was rapidly approaching the isle of despair, where writers wait until a new idea blooms.

And then, like a bolt of lightening (or a bitch slap, depending on your frame of reference), it came to me while driving to Serena's last night. I began thinking about my friends, and their rapidly changing lifestyles. I'm at an age where many of my friends are either in new relationships, long-term committed relationships, married, or married and starting families. Very few of my friends are single. Again, depending on your point of view here, this could be good or bad. I began looking at it from the view point of my as of yet unnamed heroine. She is the "Single Friend". You know the one. The girl everyone feels sorry for when she comes to the party alone. The girl everyone constantly tries to fix up with this "really nice guy I work with", who is really a closet serial killer, or something like that. She's the girl who wants to believe her life is complete, regardless of her relationship status, but that confidence is slowly being chipped away by all her well meaning friends. We all know her.

So the idea began to bloom, and I snatched up my cell phone to call Christina to exclaim loudly (and to another living person) that "I have a new idea! I know what I'm writing next!" We laughed about our muses for a bit, and how that new idea can come up and bite you when you least expect it.

Of course now the pressure is really on to finish the revisions on M, so that I can get started on the newest book.

Happy Typing!

7 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Ah, yes, from one of your few remaining single friends, I say attack this new book idea with a vengeance! You definitely don't want to look a gift muse in the mouth. LOL!

And how about a title idea..."Table For One."

Have fun with the new book. It's not like you don't have enough resources and experience to glean from, right? ;-)

Christina

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Way to go with the new idea, Erin! God, I hope I'm not party to "chipping away at your confidence!" Sheesh. Bitch slap me if I am. :-)

Shannon

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Great idea. I'll have to agree b/c I am one of your single friends. I guess that I am one of the few! Lol. Good luck with it. :)

Allison

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As another single friend? I have to say.

THEYNEVERINTRODUCEYOUTOANYONE!

You go do everything single because you refuse to spend your entire life alone, eating popcorn and bananas for dinner. And really? How do you meet anyone if you never leave your home?

Then?

You ever hear is how everyoned knows all these Nice Guys, but...

Well?????? How are you supposed to meet them? By inducing your friends through secret code to hand out the "Nice Guys'" addresses, waiting outside said "Nice Guys'" homes until they leave, deliberately running over one of their legs so it is broke and they cannot move and then holding them hostage and dependent at your home until...

Oh. CRAP! I'm turning into Kathy Bates. Argh.

I can't wait to read this book. Go, E! You worried about the muse when you've been tortured by at least 2 YA's and yearning to write a romance with lots of steamy sex for months? You've got it there, Sunshine. It's all there. :~ )

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no. I absolutely am not bitter.

LOL! Not even a little. Nope. Not me. Not bitter at all. *snort*

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Mizzz K, lot's of us married people have single guy friends we could introduce you to...except that most of them are single for a REASON. Usually a reason we wouldn't wish on our worst enemies, let alone our friends! I had one guy friend who was constantly begging for intros to my single writer friends. Except that he was 45 and still living with his mommy, drank too much, and every other word out of his mouth was filth. Still want an intro? :-)

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said "Nice Guys". "Nice Guys". Truly. Those are the ones I want. The nice ones. I might consider it, but I couldn't live with mommy and daddy past age 18. No way I could deal with anyone who could do that for 45 years. Really no way. Just none. *sigh* There is a reason I'm single. :~ ) I do appreciate the offer though. LOL. K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home