Sunday, February 12, 2006

Yiddish Word of the Week...

It's been a slow week, full of school stuff and very little excitement. Which really is okay, for me. I could use a week of little excitement.
Now, without further adieu, your word of the week.
Nakhes (pronounced na-khess) noun: pride, joy. This word was a favorite of my great-grandmother (well, this and kinehorra, but that's a whole other blog). Some common ways to use it would be like, "My grandchildren bring me such nakhes! I kvell whenever I talk to them."

There you go...enjoy! And use well :D

3 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kinehorra? Kind of horny? Kind of ornery? Kin of houri? Kind of hurry? Kind of auroa? Quite the horror? What is it fora? Down to the shore? King with a roar?

I wanna hear about that one? Kinehorra? Hmmmmmmmm...

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Okay, seriously? You should not enjoy making fun quite so much. Just you wait!

Oh! and Translation: No Evil-Eye!; praise, said in order to ward off the evil eye, (by pointing the praised person or thing out to the Evil-Eye), especially when speaking of one's good fortune; "everyone in the family is happy and healthy, kaynahore." (lit. No Evil-Eye!) (see Evil-Eye)

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. Now you are spelling it differently on me. Though Kaynahore looks a little more pronounceable. Is there any wonder I cannot pronounce the word yarmulke? (And yes, I'm pretty sure it is spelled wrong, but I have to get to work. No time to find it online. I don't have a language or a heritage of my own to twist in mental circles, I have to take advantage of my friends'. k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home