Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Everything I need to know about writing I learned from my students

Here are some common thoughts from my students while working on their Fantasy Story projects:
  • Revisions are not fun.
  • But I don't feel like writing!
  • Do I have to?
  • Why can't I just leave it like this?
  • What do you mean, it doesn't make sense?
  • Where is Algeria? Is it hot there?
  • Do we have to?
  • Why can't my character die?
  • Can there be a big fight?

Here are my answers to the above:
  • No they aren't, but you still have to do them.
  • Sometimes I don't, but I still have to. So you do too.
  • Yes.
  • Because I said so.
  • Well, if your character fell through a whole in the floor, but wound up in space, can you tell me why he's in space?
  • Look on a Map. Yes.
  • Yes.
  • Because I said so.
  • I don't want to read any violence (c'mon people! These are 4th graders). You can show the beginning of the fight and the results.
And here is what I learned:
  • Sometimes you just don't want to write, but there's always someone there to tell you to do it anyway (even if it's just that little voice in your head).
  • Because I said so.
  • Revisions stink, but we have to get through them anyway.
  • If it doesn't make sense, you have to fix it. You can't just leave it there and expect your reader to know what you're talking about.
  • Colorful illustrations make everything better.
  • Do work you are proud of, even if no one but your teacher and you ever see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home