Monday, March 13, 2006

Language Lessons...

Whenever I get together with my friends, I always learn something new. In some cases, it's a recipe or a new way to look at writing. Some teach me more about design or business. Others about marketing. Sometimes they learn from me...usually what they learn has to do with language. My other language to be precise. Hebrew, Yiddish, they sound the same, heck Yiddish uses the Hebrew alphabet. Both have found their way into the everyday language of most Americans, whether we know it or not.
So the other night I had some of my friends over for dinner. Nothing fancy, but definitely entertaining (yes, and often at my expense). I was telling the story of how I went to Shabbat services on Friday night, but rather than sit in on my usual guitar lead one, I went up to the more traditional service, just to see what it was about. My only complaint (beyond not really knowing any of the melodies), was that the prayer books up in the traditional services are all in either Hebrew (which I can read, but slowly), or English (which I can read fast, but would have sounded very odd chanting along with everyone else). You see, down in the guitar lead services, we use books that include the transliteration of the Hebrew...or what has commonly (and fondly) become known as Heblish.
Yes, Heblish, aka hebrew using the English alphabet.
Well, this got them going. Before I knew it, we were back to the hairball-hacking up as Ms. K and Christina both tried to say words like chutzpah or challa. Now, I admit, Hebrew is not always the most beautiful of languages. It has a lot of gutteral sounds to it that often can be mistaken for someone dying. Still, I've grown to love it. And really, I thought I'd heard it all. But when I tried to explain what, exactly, Heblish was one gal had to have her say. "Oh! Is that like Jewbonics?" *snort* HAHAHAH!
I know, this is probably the most un-PC conversation that should never be posted on the internet, but I had to share. See, you have to have a sense of humor about these things...cuz let's face it, there's a lot of humor to be found in religion and culture.
So to all my readers, please remember one thing...It all comes down to the biggest hair ball!

3 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can do is laugh. It was good to meet some of your teaching friends. All I can do is laugh. You go Christina. I leave the S title with you. :~ )

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Well, as Erin's "only?" Catholic friend, I can tease her mercifully because I can be guaranteed of getting my fair share of it right back. ;-) Look at all the different people in the world battling over their religions. Erin and I figure it's much more entertaining to respectfully "laugh" in the face of our religious differences. That said, I wear the "S" crown proudly! LOL!

Christina

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And... I refuse to ever feel compelled to keep my conversation PC with someone who's grandfather called me a Pagan. Really! Takes away any need for PC-ness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home