Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Passover food...

Never let it be said my people don't know how to keep the past alive. For every horrible tragedy, we have some event, holiday, moment of remembrance to show how we survived, triumphed, or at least made it back to our beds eventually and mostly intact.

This weeks holiday showcase is Passover. Also known as Pesach (note gutteral 'ch' sound), to those Yiddish speaking folks. Passover is all about the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt. And if you want a handy dandy cheat sheet, you can always go rent The Ten Commandments (the Charelton Heston version, not the new one with the British Moses, that's just wrong). This is also the holiday Ms. K will always remember as the one where I made her taste Gefilte fish. (And no, this is not an actual fish, but an amalgamation of 2-3 different types of white meat fishes. You cannot actually go out fishing for Gefilte fish. If you try, I have immediate permission to mock you.) We also eat matzo (or those funny cracker-things, as some non-Jews call it). We eat chicken soup (and when it's made well there is loads of flavor), as well as the occasional piece of chicken, matza meal-flour chocolate cake, salad, hard boiled eggs, parsley (don't ask), and other strange food combinations.

Tonight at the seder (a special meal where we re-tell the story of the exodus, complete with song), I was reminded yet again of why this meal may look strange to outsiders.
All our food is one color.
No, seriously! Matza is essentiall variations on tan and/or white. Gefilte fish is beige, occasionally with orange mixed in from carrots. Chicken soup is usually a nice golden color, but can occasionally ressemble more a beige-y liquid. Chicken...beige. Chocolate cake? Not beige, but it's dessert, can we really count it?

Me thinks the rabbis need to re-think the foods used to honor the past. We need more color. Heck, we need more fiber.

Hag Sameach!!

6 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gefilte figh: tastes like fish, texture of Spam.

 
At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would fish, not figh. Not sure what Gefilte figh is, but I'm sure it's tasty, too.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think "The Count" on Sesame Street sometimes has singing and dancing Gefilte fishes to represent the number of the day!

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahahaha! I love that missy sent you that too! amazing. still getting a CD to you, my mp3's that I ripped off a live show came out really fuzzy so I have to redo them : (

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a scottish Moses, for your information even though that doesn't change the fact that remake of 10 Commandments = blasphemy.

I can't believe you fed your friend gefilte fish. Doesn't that count as torture under the Geneva Conventions? ;-)

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should let everyone continue to think she tormented me, but...

Her mom requested that as I was attending a Passover meal at their home, I please just try everything. I knew I did not like fish, she did not. But I did promise to try "everything." I really need to learn to be a lair. It would make my life much easier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home