Saturday, April 08, 2006

What I love about writing...

First off, I have to thank Serena for the use of her computer tonight. I got loads done. I even have my teaching philosophy!

I also made a wonderful discovery about my character that plays a big role in the events about to unfold. As I mentioned before, I'm making some pretty significant changes to my current WIP in order to fit it to a specific editor. In the story I've now set it up where something very special happens when her birthday, her family and the first night of Hannukah coincide. What I didn't realize, until I began to write this new scene is that this is not the first time for such meetings. In fact the night she was born was also the first night of Hannukah. And for those of you who don't know, this is very unusual as Hannukah changes from year to year according to the Roman calendar.

I just love moments like these! They are what writing is all about to me, those little nuggets that appear when you need them and bring everything else into sharper focus. For a pantser like myself, these nuggets are invaluable.

Now, I'm off to try to go to sleep. I probably shouldn't have drunk that diet coke so close to bedtime.

2 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Maura Anderson said...

That's cool, Erin! Aren't things like that fun?

I can't wait to see what you end up with. It's gonna be great!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Yay! I love nuggets!

Those are the kinds of things that make writers look so much smarter than we are. Like we planned that stuff, instead of just recognizing them.

I'm always making unintended jokes in my writing, along with all the intended ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home