Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happily Ever After...

It is sometimes difficult for me to watch movies without thinking as a writer. I'm prone to analyzing why certain scenes work and others don't. I look for back story and how it's presented. I pay attention to those little details like mental dialogue, and how it's played out.
And I pay particular attention the end. I write romance. Yup...I said it. I write romance. Romantic Comedy to be closer to the point...though these days I'm also trying out a touch of the paranormal and may dip into YA novels soon. But the thing about romance novels is that they all have one thing in common...the Happily Ever After. That's their big draw. As a reader (and if you're lucky as a writer) the book takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions. And you willingly go, because you have your guaranteed HEA.

However, I've noticed a disturbing trend in the movies over the last couple of years. Instead of giving me my HEA, as I expect, the writers and directors think it's better to give us a "real" ending. You know, an ending that shows sometimes love doesn't conquer all...but it's okay because you learn and grow from it.

You know what I have to say about that? Bull!! To take an otherwise wonderful movie and to ruin the ending by keeping the two characters apart...that's just wrong. It's not only wrong, it's evil! It's mean! It's...it's...unconscionable.

In other news, I'm working on a fabulous scene, if I do say so myself. I love when I can read a scene that I wrote and it makes me laugh out loud. It's such a great feeling...

3 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno. I'm kind of a fan of reality, myself. :~ / It's not a bad thing. Hee!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Miss G said...

so you've seen The Break Up then? Yeah, bittersweet. I read books and see movies to ESCAPE reality, not live it. Although I do see the reason for keeping things real too. Maybe someone should invent a rating system, and real books can be given the rating BS (that's BS for bittersweet, not bullshit, though you can take it however you like it). ;)

P.S.: Love the little Mindy sketch in prev. entry. I get my funnies at work, laughing at coworkers. ;)

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Strangely, you're the second person to say this. No, haven't seen it yet. I watched Prime the other night, and that's the one that annoyed me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home