Thursday, August 31, 2006

The addictive properties of PowerPoint...

Or what they don't tell you in school.
No one ever told me how addictive Power Point presentations can be. It is apparently a well guarded secret known only to a select few individuals. But now I know, and I'm sharing it with the world!
I've spent the last couple of days either in meetings or setting my room up. The latter requires me to scrounge around the building looking for various forgotten or abandonned items that I might be able to use in my own classroom. I'm sort of like the junk dealer with his shopping cart full of discarded paper towel rolls. I wander from building to building in search of those precious few items I may be able to get my hands on. It's strangely and uniquely satisfying to see my room taking shape around me.
And when I'm not preparing my classroom or in meetings, I'm going over curriculum, so that I'll be prepared to teach on Tuesday. Which is exactly how I discovered the joys of Power Point. You see, in my classroom we have SmartBoards. They are kind of a combination of white board screen w/ projector and computer touch pad. Basically you can project images/documents/items from your computer up on to the screen. Then the screen becomes much like a touch pad at the registers at Target. You can scroll down, write, highlight items, etc. just with the touch of a finger...or electronic pen. It's really very cool.
So in an effort to move beyond the stone age (and my comfort level with overhead projectors), I decided to create a Power Point presentation for Math. This way the instruction for the activity would be up on the board for all students to read, while I went over them. And I wouldn't have to write them out as I talk! Bonus.

At least, that's how it started. Then I thought, well...wouldn't it be nice if I created a presentation to welcome them to class and to present the day's agenda? Then I got even crazier and contemplated putting the agenda up on the SB every day! When will the madness end!

In the meantime, it's late. I'm tired, and I have to get up again tomorrow to spend more time on my room and various other endeavors.

3 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Donna Caubarreaux said...

Ah! Powerpoint. I've never seen the Smart Board, it sounds fantastic.

But Powerpoint is something else. I'd love to learn how to really use it well, but then I would actually have to give a speech or something again, and I just vowed never to do one again.

But...I might change my mind.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Nah...I say play around with it as much as possible, just for the sake of it. who knows what you'll come up with :D hahahah!
Of course, that's how this whole thing started...

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger lacey kaye said...

That sounds fabulous, Erin. I am shocked they have such a device in a public school. Either that or it's been eons since I was in elementary school. Mrphle mrphle mrphle...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home