Sunday, September 10, 2006

AIDS Walk revisited...

First off, I want to thank all of you who donated to this walk. I realize many of us are under tight money constraints, and it means a lot to me that you donated.
The walk was yesterday morning, and it dawned rainy and gray. Last year it poured for the first half, and this year appeared to be no different. Ms. K. and I left our town and headed across the bridge to Capitol Hill, where they were holding the walk. We purposely went in late, as we've learned from past experience that the wait can be horribly boring, if we go in when they tell us check-in starts.
The walk itself remained dry, with lots of volunteers cheering us on (including one group of actual cheerleaders). The downside was that this year the lead walkers carried a banner that stretched across the width of the street. These banner carriers set the pace of the walk, which was unbelievably slow. I don't think I've ever taken 45 minutes to walk a mile in my life. Even when I weighed my heaviest. This was the first year with the banner, and I hope it was simply for the 2oth anniversary, and not a new yearly event. Especially because I cannot spend another "walk" listening to Ms. K. complain about the pace, and how painful it is. Really. It was a bit much. We're used to setting our own pace, weaving in and out of other walkers as we try to see how fast we can finish. It's a combination of good exercise and doing-good. This year? It was doing-good.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Elias Punch said...

i was dumb enough to show up when my team captain said he'd be waiting instead of checking to see when it actually started, so that was a 2h wait in the rain. we had a little group from our shul, including two families with the strollers, and somehow the pace was ok, but we were way at the back. my mom was like, did you finish the walk?! and i was like, um, it was a mile.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a 45 minute mile. What a painful experience. Do-good was exactly what it was, and this year? Painfully good. I will continue to whine about that for months. It should NOT take 45 minutes to go a mile on hands and knees. What were they thinking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home