Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sitting shiva...

Here's another one of those things that's going to send my friends' eyes rolling in their heads. I can picture it right now. They are sitting at home, enjoying the newest episode of Grey's Anatomy, and laughing their heads off everytime someone says "shiva". It's really not funny. The concept, not the situation. The concept is to honor the life of the person who has passed. Most families "sit shiva" for a week after the death. Family and friends visit, bring food, sit and share memories and stories about the person who has passed. Sadly, I've had to sit shiva more times than I'd like to think about in my life. But one thing always amazes me...it is not the strictly somber occasion that everyone would expect. Instead, it's a mix of laughter and tears as we remember the person we loved and the life they lived.
The humor in this particular situation stems from the irony of the situation. The Jewish character? She's Asian American. She's is as far from the stereotypical Jewish doctor as one can get. The tag line of course is, "Is it really shiva if Izzy's Catholic?" And every time one of them says this line, I giggle. And I picture my friends, in their homes, sitting on their comfy couches, laughing too.
Yeah, I know...it's kind of sad that I get such a kick out of it. But at the same time, it just goes to show how well I know them all.
Now, back to quarantines and plagues. More later!

3 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's "Grey's Anatomy"?

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I petition that the above commenter be BANNED from making sarcastic Grey's comments!

And, yes, I laughed at shiva and the fact that Cristina Yang SOOO doesn't look like the stereotypical Jewish doctor.

Did you get the idea, though, that most of them were "sitting shiva" more for Izzy than for Denny? For the part of Izzy that died along with him? That was my take on the sitch anyway.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey now. I've not seen it. Ever. Is that a show on real TV? Or is it one of those fancy cable TV shows? Hmmmmmm... Methinks that if people are watching this much TV, blogs could be updated during commercial breaks. Hmmmmmmmm... I just want to read. :~ D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home