Sunday, October 01, 2006

Responsibilities...

There's a fine line between my responsibilities as a teacher, and those as a writer. Both require me to make additional time to devote to my work. Both require me to prioritize and organize.
Both drive me to insanity, on occasion.
This morning I'm torn between reading and responding to my students' reading journals, and working on my own writing. I have many more chapters to finish revising, and I'd like to be ready to send them out after the conference next weekend. Somehow, I don't think it'll be quite that done yet. But at least the first 3 chapters will be polished and mail-able. In the meantime though, I alternate between grading homework, revising my story, and adding the necessary chapter headers for each chapter. Usually this last one falls by the wayside until I notice I've revised and edited 5 chapters without inserting the headers. Then I have to go back, find the beginnings of each chapter, sum them up in my head and create appropriate headers to set the tone. Some are better than others, some will have to be played with down the road.
All of them have to be somewhat original.
The problem of course, is that I'm torn between wanting a catchy idea that will grab the attention of editors and agents, and simply getting rid of all of them for the sake of ease and less work.

But since when have I ever followed the easy route?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home