Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The games we all play...

One of the common themes in my books (as is the theme in many romance novels), is that of the relationship between men and women. Let's face it...we all play games with each other. Never is it more apparent than in the whole dating game. The problem, of course, is I've never been all that good at playing the game, and therefore my characters usually reflect this.
That whole wait 2 days before calling her business? Yeah, I don't hold with that. You wanna talk? Pick up the phone. You want to know what he is thinking? Ask. Granted, it's usually gonna be one of three (maybe four) topics, but ask. You save a lot of heartache and annoyance that way.
I love exploring the games people play with one another. Not to mention the games we play with ourselves. The head games we all go through at the beginning of a relationship makes for great fodder for my stories. The neuroses come out and we make ourselves crazy trying to second guess the other person.
That's why the beginning of a new book is so exciting for me. I get to figure out the head games. I get to work through the many different scenarios and craziness we put ourselves through. And I get to do it all from the safety of my computer.
One friend calls it being the puppet master. I see it as being the grand dame. You know, the one who everyone looks to before they make a move...even if it's just to pick up a piece of cheese off the hors d'oeurve tray. Yup, that's me. I'm the grand dame, the head honcho, the Queen.

And I like being the Queen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home