Saturday, November 11, 2006

Sometimes you just need Mac & Cheese...

The Seattle area has seen more rain in the last week than it's seen all year, it feels like. At one point I had students quoting "It's been raining for 34 hours straight!" Now to put this in perspective, this isn't normal Seattle misty-rain. No, this is like a good old-fashioned Mid-West thunderstorm, only minus the thunder and lightening. All over the news we hear about this city or that town suffering through major flooding conditions. On top of that, the balmy temperatures of earlier have given way to the normal winter conditions of the low-40's. But before you start to think this is all about the weather, let me explain why this all is important.
It's fall. Fall is officially here, with the cold, the wet, the mud and the colds. It's also the time of year built for fires in the fireplace (check), hot tea (check), hot apple cider (on my way to go buy), dinner with friends (tonight), baking (in a couple of hours) and...comfort food. Comfort food...we all have them. For some it's Mom's homemade spaghetti, for others it's Bubbe's chicken soup. For me? It's the mac & cheese in the blue box. Rarely will I allow myself to have it, as it doesn't exactly fit in with the "healthy habits" I try to live by. But sometimes, usually when I have a cold and my resistance is down, I just have to buy a box. Today was one of those days. I stopped at the grocery store after an early morning drive to the airport to drop off Ms. K., so that I could pick up the last minute ingredients for tonight's chili dinner. And as I walked down the aisle with the soup, and the canned goods (I needed tomato paste), I passed by those little blue boxes sitting in a row.
And I had to buy one.
So what are some of your comfort foods? What are those little treats you allow yourself only once in a while? The ones that are really bad for you, but you have to give in to every so often?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Ha! I just had Mac&Cheese last night with my other rare treat...fish sticks. Yes, many of my comfort foods come from my childhood meals, like a particular chicken casserole from my mom, her homemade scalloped potatoes, and our family recipe for Risotto Milanese. Others for me are cake, chips and crackers, but I tend to have those a little more often...event though I shouldn't. I'd add pasta, but that's a staple item in my family, so that doesn't count. :-)

Christina

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grilled cheese sandwiches. I know I have more, but my mind is blank this early on a Monday.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home