Saturday, December 09, 2006

Bet you didn't know...

Last night I went to the rabbi's house for shabbat dinner. I love these dinners because they are usually so relaxing, and entertaining. It's rare that I don't spend most of the evening smiling and laughing, talking and eating. Plus, most of the people who attend are usually ones I don't know, and so I get to make all sorts of new friends. What was special about this night, however, was they were advertising it as a "Singles Shabbat." Now, I've said before that sometimes I'm a little slow. But I'm not that slow. clearly this was something to go do...even if it was a bust.
Now would be a good time to point out that the only people in the world who want to see a nice Jewish girl married off more than her mother or grandmothers, would be the nice, Jewish rabbis. Seriously, there biggest goal in life is to see us all happily married off. And it's a fine goal, just one that can be a little scary to think about some times.
So I signed up, sending the organizer my name and age, as requested. And are you all thinking what I'm thinking? That they will organize based on age groups? Well, appparently that's where I made my mistake. I arrived at the rabbi's, met his fabulous wife, and discovered that apparently there had been confusion about my email. Really, that must be the case. It's the only explanation for why I was now in a room with about 8 people. only three of us under the age of 40. Most appeared over the age of 50. Hm...there must be some mistake. Did I go to the wrong house? Hm...mentally check address. No, I'm in the right house. Hm...This can't be right. Can it?
I guess it can.
The rest of the evening, once I realized I was indeed in the right house, went smoothly. Lots of laughter, good food, good people. Fun conversations. Even seeing someone at the end of the dinner who I'd rather not have seen, couldn't ruin the evening. I made several new friends, and may even have some new hiking buddies, so I'm excited. Plus, I got to reconnect with a teacher friend I haven't seen in over a year.
And ultimately? I discovered that I really was at the right house. Had they sent me to another one, I likely would not have had nearly as good a time. So, yes, sometimes there really is a master plan. I just don't always know what it is.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger lacey kaye said...

Awww this was so sweet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home