Monday, December 25, 2006

What Jews do on Christmas

Ever wonder what Jews do on Christmas while the rest of the world is with their families opening gifts and gorging themselves on holiday foods?
We gather and eat. Why be home alone watching bad television, when you can be at a "party" with friends? This would be what prompted me to accept a friend's invitation to her house this evening. It had the potential to be a very fun time, filled with lots of laughter and food. What it became was mostly an hour and a half of uncomfortable chit chat. Oh I had fun, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to fully enjoy a party when you stick your foot into your mouth within the first five minutes.
Now, had I known most of the people at the party, the whole situation would have turned out significantly differently. Most of my friends understand, and appreciate, my ability to stick my foot into my mouth on a fairly regular basis. What can I say, it's a talent. Unfortunately, I did not know most of the people there. In fact, the only person I knew was the hostess...a fellow teacher and very sweet person. This would be the point when I mention that I was the youngest person at the party, barring the 13 month old daughter of another guest. Everyone else was approximately 40-years or older. At one point another woman there was complaining about how she doesn't go to YLD events any more because every guy there is too young for her. I, in a commisserating mood, replied that I usually have the opposite problem. I don't usually go to the YLD events because most of the guys are too old for me, and all they do is hit on the 20 year olds. "How old is old?" the woman asked.
Right there I should have stopped. I should have shut my mouth and walked away. There was no redeeming myself at that point. Did I listen to my own mental advice? No. Not a word of it. Instead, like an idiot, I answered her. "They're all like 40 and up," I replied.
Sigh.
I should have shut up. I should have glued my lips shut, or stuffed myself with cornbread. Anything to not have said what I did. Thankfully, they all laughed, but I felt like a moron. I spent the rest of the hour or so that I was there trying hard to not say anything stupid, while still trying to have a good time. Thankfully I'm easily amused, and most people seemed to forget what I said pretty quickly. Too bad I couldn't do the same. Instead I came home, called my sister, then sat down to report this all back to you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I think you're being too hard on yourself. See, I would have laughed at that remark (though I, as one of your closest friends, am also in that 40 and up group). No one probably took it as an insult. Only you. But it was classic Erin, wasn't it? LOL! If they don't appreciate you, you know where you can come where we all love you! -- Shannon

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger lacey kaye said...

Well, you sure are good at that! But I'm with Shannon. Likely any of the ladies who were offended at being called "old" also think you're one of the young hussies out there to steal their age-appropriate men. You just said it aloud!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

At this point, I'd love to be thougth of a a young hussy.

Don't forget time and a half on Christmas and Easter : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home