Sunday, January 14, 2007

It's still way too cold out...

But you wouldn't know that, based on the fact Ms. K. and I walked this morning. We've learned to compromise on our weekend walks. I walk a little further than normal, and she doesn't leave at the buttcrack of dawn. It works for us. Which, of course, is why I had a slightly panicky moment yesterday when I had an email from her announcing she'd arrive to pick me up at 7:02a.m. I know, crazy! Thankfully, she was mostly just messing with my head. Had I actually agreed to this insanely early time, she would have held me to it.
So we walked. Then I came home and thawed out on my couch for a bit with my newest discovery...HGTV (aka The Home & Garden Network).
But this afternoon was all about the writing. Or, at least the business of writing. Sent off another query, and eventually worked around to actually adding to my page count (95 ba-by!). My muse, however flighty she may be when I'm feeling stressed, dropped a goldmine in my lap this afternoon. I sat down to write what I believed would be a scene between my heroine and her best friend. Imagine my shock and surprise when the best friend flits out of the scene within moments, leaving my heroine to wander New York City on her own. What I discovered next, well...you'll have to wait to read the book, but it's fabulous! Or, at least it will be fabulous once I get a few more details figured out.
Which brings me to my favorite thing about being a pantser...these little nuggets. Writing by the seat of my pants is what works...for me. It doesn't work for everyone. Some of my friends are paralyzed when they don't have the full scene outlined well before they sit down to write it. But to me the writing is a discovery. I may think I know what my story is about, only to discover a whole new facet to it 100 pages in. I love this about my writing. The feeling of striking gold is what puts my tush in the chair. Sometimes I have to work up to it. I have to spend time researching agents, or finding just the right music to work to. But sometimes...sometimes it simply flows, like a stream.
Today was one of those days.
Now tomorrow? Well, tomorrow will have to wait. I just hope it's warmer out.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did say, "no, not before 7, thank you very much". I was just following your lead. Heehee! Mizzz K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home