Saturday, January 13, 2007

Movies, books, and mythology...


Last night my aunt and I went out to see a wonderful new movie. Eragon is based on the book of the same name, written by Christopher Paolini. This is the first book in his Inheritance Trilogy, and I gotta tell you, I'm eager to read it. I've actually wanted to read it for some time now, as it is very popular in the grade I teach. However time, as well as other books on my agenda, have kept me from it. Which is why I was a little bit leary of going to see the movie first. Normally I'll wait until I've read the book, just so it's not ruined for me. But last night we made an exception to the rule.
And wow, am I glad I did.
It wasn't until I came home to write this blog that I realized how truly amazing this book must be. First off, it has practically a cult following in the 11-16 age group. The second book, Eldest, came out last year, and I remember seeing it just about everywhere. Students couldn't wait to get their hands on it. As a writer and a teacher, I loved seeing this passion in my students. What most people don't realize, though, is how truly rare this book is. The author was 15 when he wrote Eragon, 17 when it came out in 2003...making him only 20 now. 20 years old and not only are his books one of the biggest things since Harry Potter, but there's now a movie out based on the first book.
Wow. Just...wow. I want to be him when I grow up.
Now, again, I haven't read the books yet. I can't speak to his writing style, or to his use of vocabulary. But I can speak to his understanding of what makes a true story teller, which is fabulous for one so young. Several of you may be aware of the Hero's Journey by Joseph Campbell. Campbell was one of the foremost authority on mythology and hero stories. His work on the Hero's Journey became the basis for Chis Vogler's The Writer's Journey. Paolini clearly studied one or both of these books. Vogler's book is one of my favorite craft books, and the one that seems to speak to me the most, though usually on an unconcious level. It sets up the three act structure of a story in such a way that it becomes easily accessible to both readers and writers. Of course, the downside to having studied both men's works, is that I can't always simply go to the movies and enjoy. I end up analyzing. As I watched the movie, I was picking out in my head the different elements and parts of the Hero's Journey. "Ah, here's the Call to Action." "Here's the Refusal." "Oh, look! There's the Gatekeeper." Eragon is clearly based in the mythology and hero stories of old, and this is what makes it such a classic story. It's not revolutionary. It isn't something we've never seen before. It simply is what it is, a wonderful story.
Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Paolini never read anything by Campbell or Vogler. Maybe he simply understands that to have a story rooted in mythology and heros, he will inevitably follow a certain pattern. Maybe he's a Star Wars fan, out to create his own cult classic.
Or maybe he's simply a talented writer using the gifts he's been given to the best of his abilities. I'll let you decide.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I bet my son would loan you his copy of Eragon and Eldest if you would like them. Let me know! I enjoyed the movie also!

Shannon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home