Saturday, February 24, 2007

Family and food...

Friday night my bubbe invited the whole family over to dinner. What began as my cousin stopping by to say hello, became both cousins, my uncle, my aunt, Dad, Bubbe and me. I realize some of you think I'm joking when I talk about my family (okay, most Jewish families) and food, but I'm not. Case in point? Friday night dinner.
Bubbe planned the menu (with my help), and we were off to the store for fruit. Upon arrival we discovered tasting stations set up around the store. The first one offered up some kind of Asian noodle dish that tasted yummy. So we bought the ingredients, and decided to make it for dinner. I thought we were making it for dinner instead of the other items we had discussed.
I was wrong.
See, Bubbe worries about having enough food. The woman can have a fully stocked freezer and fridge, and still be worried there is not enough food for everyone. It comes from a very logical place, and so it's mostly a beloved quirk at this point.
But Friday it was reality. To give you an idea? Here's what all was made:
  • Salmon Patties (see pic above). If you haven't had them, they are similar to crab cakes, only made with salmon. Bubbe, being the good Eastern European that she is, makes here's with lots of onion. The house smelled of it for at least 5 hours. My eyes were tearing up at one point.
  • Asian noodle dish. This one I made in two batches after Dad discovered the recipe called for mushrooms. Apparently he doesn't appreciate a good fungus among us.
  • Salad. Because all dinners must include a salad.
  • Corn on the cob. No reason for this one, other than apparently we needed another vegetable. I did manage to talk her out of the asparagus, though. I think I get a point for that.
  • Farfel. This one is hard to describe. Farfel is made of crushed matzo and mushrooms that are boiled until the water is completely absorbed. The matzo becomes kind of like a couscous/noodle thing.
  • Pie. It's kind of like a pudding/custard type pie. It was very yummy and creamy.
I swear I'm missing something in this list, but can't remember what. I should probably point out here, that all of these items were made in enough quantity to qualify as a meal all their own. Is it any wonder I'm never hungry when I'm visiting?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Asian noodles. All of them. Let me know if you're interested in my pad thai recipe.


David

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

LOVE salmon patties! My mom has made them for years. That's about the only way I'll eat salmon. :-)

Christina

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger lacey kaye said...

I'm guessing your dad doesn't eat farfel...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home