Wednesday, February 07, 2007

How many people does it take to fix a bed

Mom called this afternoon, while I was in a meeting. When I called her back, she asked if I had time to come by and help her put her bed back together. Apparently they'd taken it apart in order to allow space for the floor guy to install their new wood floors. Me, being the good daughter that I am, told her I could be over later on this evening.
So I arrived a little bit before 7 to help her out. We trooped upstairs and found ourselves at the mercy of a four-poster bed bigger than both of us. Technically the bed really needs three people to put together, because two simply don't have enough arms and hands. We managed to get the two parts that connect the head and the footboards connected in the appropriate spots, then Mom attacked each side with a mallet, to help them fit together. Then came the deadbolts, used to hold the aforementioned pieces together indefinitely. My job was to reattach the wooden slats that fit width-wise across the bed, for the mattress to lay on. It really got to be fun when I had to try to match up the hole in the slat with the hole in the main piece. Clearly someone with better (or maybe it was worse) eye-sight than mine did it first.
Oh, and did I mention my little run-in with the lamp? Yeah, it's nothing a little crazy glue won't fix, but Mom's never letting that one go.
Just when I thought my work was done, and I'd be allowed to go home, she asked me to help her put the box-spring and mattress back on. Yeah, I should have run for the hills then. The box-springs weren't too bad. Two twin boxes, each fitting nicely into place. No, the bugger was the king size mattress bigger than both of us. Then there was the cedar chest she keeps at the foot of her bed.
I finally ducked out before she could find more for me to move. But whew! I'm not looking forward to the mess that will likely be my hands tomorrow. I'm already feeling it in my fingers tonight.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

OMG Erin, what a day! This calls for a nice long nap followed by a hot chocolate :)

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I firmly agree, Dona. That night I slept like a rock...

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha! You forgot the phone misshap. Heehee. And, it probably would help if either of you were a little... ummmmm... taller? Though considering you did it, it was a 2-person job. Very well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home