Thursday, March 29, 2007

Only four more nights...


Until the Great Passover Seder (or GPS as it will be known for at least the next few weeks). In light of the fact I've had a very yucky day (I knew I should have sent that chain letter on!) I've decided to enlighten you all about one of the more traditional foods for Pesach. And the one Ms. K. finds either the most amusing, or the most disgusting. Yes, I've probably told this story before, but it makes me laugh, and like I said, I had a yucky day.
So our lesson of the day is Gefilte Fish. See, this is one of those foods you tend to grow up with when you're Jewish. It's a mixture of different white fishes, ground up, formed into balls and then boiled.
Yeah, I know. Not the most appetizing sounding.
But when you stop thinking of how it is made, it's actually fairly good.
Unless you're Ms. K. and you're sitting in on your first ever (and probably her only, though she'll make that final call) Seder. A seder is the special meal we share on the first two nights of Pesach. Literally, the word means Order, and the meal gets its name from the fact that everything in the meal has a meaning. An order.
Anyway, back to the fish. First off, Ms. K. only agreed to come after I promised she wouldn't offend anyone. Then she ran into one of my mother's oldest rules. You can't say you don't like it if you don't try it. (This would be the only reason I've eaten a brussel sprout...ever.) Mom told her she could not claim she didn't like Gefilte fish if she didn't at least taste it. We promised her she wouldn't have to eat the whole thing, which I think she found only slightly comforting.
Ms. K.'s opinion? Taste like tuna with the texture of Spam.
Seeing as how I've never had Spam, I'll have to take her word for it. But it does NOT taste like tuna fish.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

I'm SO glad we Catholics don't have to mix specific foods with our religious celebrations. Just give me a little sip of wine (don't worry, I'll pour a bigger glass of it later at home) and a flat wafer Host during Mass and I'm set. LOL!

Christina

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does taste like tuna and is unMISTAKably the texture of SPAM. But? I have tried it. And what is with the Pesach thing? You're trying to confuse us shiksas, aren't you? Passover? You do it on purpose. I swear. :~D Enjoy. I'll be at Easter where they will be serving ham. LOL. Why do you talk to me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home