Friday, April 27, 2007

A hat for every day of the week...

I took today as a personal day. I'll be down in Portland tomorrow for the Rose City RWA Readers Luncheon, so I needed today to do all those little things I usually save for my weekend, like writing, going to the department of licensing,

Buying a hat.

I'm in desperate need of a sun hat for my trip in June because let's face it, I'm so pale, all I have to do is look at a sunny day through the window and I'll burn. Baseball hats simply won't cut it for this trip. So I went to the one store I knew would have plenty of choices: REI.
I walked in, made my way up the stairs to the clothing section, and found myself in front of an impressive selection of hats. The key to hat buying is finding one that is both functional, and cute. Who knows who I might meet on this trip. I may be hot and sweaty, but I can look cute doing it. So I began to try on hats, one after the other. Eventually one of the salesmen came over to help me out. The guy was probably in his early to mid-twenties, which was a bonus. Hey, if the hat can pass his approval, it will likely work for my purposes, right? Also, he was nice and tall, so he could actually reach most of the hats, which for some reason were hung way up high.
So one by one he began to hand me options. "This one has sun protection 50," he announced cheerfully. "That one has a nice wide brim," he offered. "That one is covering your eyes."
One by one I modeled them, and one by one he laughed.
Yes, the salesman laughed at me and the hats. I'm pretty sure it's a bad sign for the hat if it makes the sales guy laugh out loud. Eventually I settled on a great straw hat, with a nice wide brim, that didn't make the sales guy break out into fits of laughter. Hey, at least I don't have to worry about burning my nose.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. I hope the DOL was fun. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home