Sunday, April 01, 2007

More Passover fun...


First off, I should apologize to Ms. K., and anyone else confused by my interchanging of words for Passover. Passover, or Pesach, are the same thing. I tend to slip into the Yiddish for it, simply because it's easier for me.
Anyway, on to the latest. I stopped by our local grocery store yesterday, to pick up a few more items for Monday and Tuesday. As part of the symbolism, we are required to have a Seder plate set up for both meals. The plate includes (I believe) six items, each one is supposed to mean something different. For example, horseradish is used to represent the bitterness of their lives as slaves.
One of the items needed is a shank bone. It represents the Paschal lamb, which in turn represents the blood that was placed around the doors of all the Jewish homes, so that the Angel of Death would know which homes to pass by (pass by, Passover, get it?) during the 10 plagues. So I went up to the meat counter, and asked for the bone. No meat, just the bone. Lucky me, I got a man about 20, who gave me a look that kind of said, "You're odd, but you're a customer, so I have to act like I get this question all the time." Up and down the cooler we walked, looking at different pieces of meat that I might be able to remove the bone from, without having to pay an arm and a leg.
Needless to say, after all that, I decided that I'm not purchasing a bone the size of my fist, just to put it on a plate to look at. Instead? I bought a turkey wing. I still have to pull off all the meat, and I'm feeling very wasteful. But it was the cheapest, and it'll have to do.
It's all about the symbolism, right?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

I hope your Passover dinner went well...you sounded totally on top of things :)

BTW, TAG! Top 10 Favorite Movies, stat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home