Sunday, June 10, 2007

Still in a daze...


Thank you to all who have commented on the slight possibility that I am sanity challenged for choosing my job.
You're probably right.
Further proof? We took the students on a day long field trip to Mt. St. Helen's on Friday. 15 hours of excited, hormonal pre-teens. Not to mention sick pre-teens. Not to mention a really, really long bus ride. Yeah, it was a long day. Finally got home about 8:45, only to crawl almost directly into bed and go to sleep.
But for all the insanity? It really was an amazing field trip. To see how the mudflows of the blast have completely transformed the land, to see the matchstick-like tree trucks left strewn across the ground just blows your mind. I felt almost like one of my students for a while, blithely following along as we learned about the event that blacked out cities as far away as Montana.
Then we had to get back into the bus for the ride home, which included a stop at my least favorite fast food restaurant...McDonald's. 78 students, chaperones and teachers later, I finally had my food, boarded the bus and we continued our ride.
Yeah, it was like that.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You weren't living in Washington in 1980, were you Erin? (heck, were you even alive then?:-)) I was only 5, but I remember the day clearly. Yakima, where I lived, was black as midnight at noon because of all the ash in the air. Mt. St. Helens is awe inspiring and worth the trip, even with a bunch of 5th graders.

Next time you're down that way, check out the Ape caves. It's a real lava tube underground that you can hike (and sometimes crawl) through to the other end. Very, very cool.

-Kelli

 

Post a Comment

<< Home