Monday, July 16, 2007

A break from our regularly scheduled program...

Here's the thing about writing...most writers know just how to avoid it. Yup, there's the dirty secret. We can find a million and one things to do instead of write. We can do laundry, vacuum, make dinner, run errands...blog. But the thing of it is, sometimes that procrastination time is just what we need. We can use that time doing mindless nothing to think about what really matters...the story.
Of course, while some of us our proud of our procrastinatory abilities (okay, is that even a word?), others of us wish we weren't so darn good at it. We wish we had greater discipline, or at the very least the ability to glue our butts into our seats temporarily.
In my efforts to procrastinate this week, I'm finally reading a much referred to craft book, Writing the Breakout Novel. I know, I know, you're shocked and appalled at me. Oh well. Still, the timing couldn't be better. Even as I'm finishing off my current WiP, I've begun thinking about my next novel, one that I'm hoping I can make bigger, better, stronger...you name it, I hope I can do it. I've started asking myself the hard questions, the ones whose answers scare the pants off me...but the ones that need to be asked. I'm hoping to find those answers over the next several months, as I begin to develop my premise, my plot and my characters. The current goal is to finish TMI by the end of August, in just enough time for the start of the new school year. While at the same time continuing to pull together my random thoughts for the next book.
Oooh boy, who says I don't know how to have fun?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger lacey kaye said...

Hurrah for a new book! Good luck!

PS I still haven't read WTBN. shhhh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home