Thursday, July 05, 2007

How missions are a lot like Conference...

I discovered a few things while traveling through Israel on a Young Leadership Mission. I discovered it's a lot like going to a writer's conference. The biggest difference is, of course, that many of my fellow traveler's weren't writers. But here are a few things they had in common:


  • Buffets. Yes, the bain or pleasure of any conference. Depending on how far away you are from the food stations, you may be in for a long wait, but if you're lucky? The quality of the food will make up for it (and yes, we had our own version of conference chicken).

  • People. Suddenly, in the space of a few days, you have eight new best friends from all over the country. If you're lucky? You keep in contact with a few regularly, and others less frequently. Not to mention the sheer numbers. I spend 9 days traveling with 300 people.

  • Activities. Missions, like conferences, have an agenda and a time table. Sleep is at a premium and you do what they say when they say it. Of course, if you don't like the plan, you can choose not to participate, just like if you skip workshops.

The trip was an amazing whirlwind, and too much for one post. Check back over the next week, as I'll be adding tidbits of my trip frequently. I'll also be including pictures, once I can get them uploaded to my machine.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home