Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hurricane Erin...

Sorry for the gap, ladies and gents. I just returned yesterday from a family trip to Hawaii. 14 of us gathered to help celebrate my grandmother's 75 birthday. The good news? I managed to escape without any embarrassing questions about boyfriends, when I'm getting married, or providing great-grandbabies.
Thank goodness.
Of course, if you've paid attention to the news, or the Weather Channel, you already know this was no simple vacation. No, not my family. We like to throw a measure of danger in, when we can. So here you go, a list of our "adventures": narrowly missed Hurricane Flossie (which went over the Big Island where we stayed, just in the south end), Tsunami warnings thanks to the earthquake in Peru, an earthquake in Hilo (on the other side from where we stayed)...I'm sure I'm missing other natural disasters.
Then there was the getting stuck in an elevator with my cousin. We left Mom & Co. in the lounge to head back to our rooms on the other side of the hotel. Since we were on the 5th floor, we took the elevator. It stopped at the third floor to let off one lady, then continued up to 5. I think. It stopped at 5 but the doors didn't open. Then it moved, maybe back down to 2? Again the car stopped but the doors remained shut. We went up and down for what felt like 5 minutes, trying to call various relatives, before I found the phone box on the elevator. At this point my poor cousin was curled up in the fetal position rocking back and forth. Thankfully they got a maintenance man up to us pretty quickly, but we still don't really know what happened. Needless to say, we took the stairs up after that.
I promise, there were good times too...but those will have to be another post.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger lacey kaye said...

AD-VENTURE! yippee!!!

Glad you made it back safe ;-)

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And while you were experiencing all that? Hurrican Erin hit TX. Was it you're residual angst sparking against mainland US? K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home