Sunday, December 30, 2007

Entertaining myself...

A big part of winter break is finding ways to relax, while still being entertained. When you're single? You usually end up entertaining yourself. Books, movies, bad Lifetime T.V. You name it, I've tried it...and succeeded. So here we go, my round up of movies watched and books read (and yes, I promise to only recommend the good ones).
Books:
-Savor Me Slowly by Gena Showalter. The latest in her alien huntresses series. I loved this book. It's a perfect set up love v. duty. High action, high romance. And aliens!
-The Warrior by Kinley MacGregor. I may have already talked on this one, but definitely a good book. The latest in her Brotherhood of the Sword series, this is Lochlan's book. She also leaves us with a glimpse as to their fallen brother's true fate. Hmmm...me wonders if she's planning to entwine her series with this one.
-Speak No Evil by Allison Brennan. Allison is a new writer on the scene. Her first trilogy came out last year, and she's followed up with a fabulous new trilogy. My only problem? Remember what happened in the first, to remember how characters were linked in book two. I love a good mystery, and a good serial killer book, and Allison provides both. I'd rank her right up there with Lisa Gardner and Tami Hoag.
There have been others...but these are definitely the top three. Now, on to movies!
-Waitress. Mmmmm...me loves Nathan Fillion. You all know that. I was worried about my love, though, when he's introduced as a married doctor. Ooh, boy. That can't end well, can it? But it did. In true Chick Lit, Chick Flick style we get to see the ups and downs of taking back your life. Not to mention pie! Who doesn't love pie? It's a good thing I ate before watching this movie, or I would have been starving!
-Juno. Teenage pregnancy...'nuff said, right? Wrong. This is a funny, poignant look at what happens when cynical and sarcastic Juno finds herself pregnant and in need of a family for her baby. The actress did a wonderful job portraying a confused girl trying to find her way through life. I laughed through the whole movie.
-Charlie Wilson's War. Saw this the other night, and I'm very glad I went. The movie is based on the true story of Charlie Wilson, congressman from Texas, who took it upon himself (after some prodding) to provide our covert operations enough funding to help end Russian occupation of Afghanistan. It shows the lengths this man was willing to go, not to mention the amount of money he raised, to support the Afghanis during the mid-1980's. It also shows the results of those efforts, and the beginnings of our current situation. Yes, I recognize some aspects were likely glamorized. This is Hollywood after all. But the movie leaves definite food for thought here.
As for other movies watched...well, let's be honest. I'm almost embarrassed by them. The were cheesy, schmaltzy, and tearjerkers. And I watched them all the way through. Next up is Gods in Alabama, a book recommended by Shannon, and hopefully either PS I Love You, or Atonement. Hmmm...I've still got time, right?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home