Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Conversations part 4, or why it pays to take your time...

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if the words just dripped on to the keyboard? I think the thing about not plotting everything out that scares everyone, is the idea of the unknown. They are scared they might write themselves into a corner, or that they'll lose a thread somewhere. Some need to be able to see all the little details, to know where to drop hints, etc. Lacey did a plotting presentation for the chapter a couple of months ago, and the intensity of understanding that it takes was overwhelming. The Tiaras kept laughing at me as my eyes got bigger with each new idea we had to think about. It was way too much. And it's not that I don't enjoy plotting. I actually love to talk about my book with another writer, or another ear. Or to help another writer talk through their plot points. That's how I work through difficult scenes. But something about putting those ideas down on to paper prematurely makes them too concrete for me. I'm a big picture kind of gal, in all areas of my life. Even in my teaching, I'd rather let the little details work themselves out. I figure as long as I know the major points I have to hit, how I get there will work itself out. Do you tend to hold revisions until you're finished? Or do you rewrite as you go? I do remember your love of the Jade Lee workshop, and how quickly everything seemed to turn around once you got that beginning fixed up. That's kind of where I'm at with my current manuscript. I'm hoping by taking a little extra time now, I'll save myself pain and anguish later.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Maura Anderson said...

I do a modified storyboard before I start, so I know what scenes fall where.

Then, as I write, I edit and polish the prior day's writing, then write new. Since I write in order, it works for me and generally results in a very clean manuscript to send to my editor.

I find that if I don't storyboard, I end up with navel-gazing or scenes that don't move the story forward.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger EmilyBryan said...

I so envy your organization, Maura. My synopsis serves as story board for me, but I've read of authors who lay out their scenes even down to the POV ahead of time. I'm sure it helps avoid plot holes.

Like you, I edit as I go. It keeps me grounded in my fictional world to backtrack a bit and add layers as the story is developing. Sometimes a new thread emerges than I hadn't expected.

Revision is the fun part. Ploughing the virgin page, that's the work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home