Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Conversations part 5, in which there is a misunderstanding...

I did something different for my last story (this is a romantic suspense that's currently under consideration, wish me luck!). To decide on plot points before I started writing the synopsis, I wrote one-sentence points as they came to me on sticky notes and plastered them all over my full length mirror. It really helped to be able to slip them around in different places however I pleased until I was satisfied that the story had a cohesive order about it. Then I used them to write the synopsis (which I had to re-write after I finished the manuscript because I veered off in different directions a couple of times once I got into the story). But it got me going and one of the most helpful sticky notes was the one-word theme for the story:TRUST. Whenever I needed to make a course correction, TRUST is the rudder I steered the story by. If the direction of the book wasn't developing that theme in some fashion, I knew I'd wandered too far from the initial synopsis.
Interviewing a character while giving him an accupuncture, hmm? A bit sadistic, but I like it.
Best,Diana
www.dianagroe.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home