Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Interview with author Eileen Cook

At long last Eileen Cook is home from her book tour, and sat down with me (okay, over email) to share the answers to a few burning questions.
Moi: At a time when paranormals are all the rage, why did you choose to make your heroine a fake psychic?
E: Oooh nice question. I love to read a good paranormal- but I noticed there didn't seem to be much on the skeptical point of view. I think too often we seek out magic instead of seeing the ordinary day to day magic that exists in our lives- like the fact that our dogs are thrilled every time we come home, waking up next to someone you've been with for years and realizing you still the love heck out of them or the thrill of finding a pair of killer shoes on sale- in your size. Lastly, I had been to a conference that was looking at how psychic skills could be faked and while it was fascinating, it left me wondering WHY someone would do it- that was the beginning of Unpredictable.
Moi: What was your favorite scene to write?
E : I am ashamed to admit I crack myself up. I know it's a good scene when I'm typing and snorting all at the same time. It's a good thing I find myself funny as I suspect there are times when I'm the only one. I think my favorite scene was the ending both because I was happy with how the story came together and it was the end. I am not a plotter. I have plotter fantasies- but I still tend to write as I go- so when I see things coming together I'm quite relieved.
Moi: Who would play Sophie in the movie version? (At the time I wrote these questions, I did not know the book was optioned. How's that for being psychic?)
E: When people hear that Unpredictable was optioned for film they always ask who I see in the various roles. When I was writing the book I never pictured any particular actress- and perhaps since I know that as the writer I have just about zero say in what the studio does I still don't have any firm ideas in my mind. I could see someone like Anne Hathaway (from the Princess Diaries) or Reese Witherspoon- but to be honest I'll just be thrilled if I have a chance to see it on screen. I should go on the record that I would fully support Johnny Depp being in the movie- not because I think he'd be perfect for any particular role- but mostly because I think he's dreamy.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cameron Diaz is made for the role.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home