Saturday, May 24, 2008

Reminders...

We all have that friend. You know the one I'm talking about. The friend who has known you since you were all of the size of a peanut. The friend you ran in the backyard with while pulling on the dog's tale and shrieking at the top of your lungs. The friend you had your first sleepover party with, and the one who would never miss a birthday unless death or dismemberment were involved.
But then life intervenes, and you drift apart. One of you moves, then the other. Before you know it, you haven't talked in a year. But you still know each other like no one else does.
I have that friend. She's one of the funniest gals I know...and you don't have to take my word for it. She's also a stand-up comic in NYC. We reconnected recently, and the other day she dropped me a note for my birthday. Actually, she didn't even mention my birthday. The note was so cryptic, it took me a few minutes to realize what she said. But once I slowed down and read it again, I started to laugh, and I'm still giggling. All she sent was a link to the St. Mary's Spring Fair, and a note to stop at Dairy Queen. But that's all she needed to send, to tell me she thinks of me...and that she remembers. See, that's where I had all my birthday parties for something like 4-5 years. It's always held Memorial Day weekend, which conveniently falls right around my birthday.
And before the fair, we'd always stop at DQ. Didn't matter how cold it was, it was time for ice cream.
So thank you M, for remembering me today...and for making me smile.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I have friends like that, too! What a fun way for her to remember your birthday! Hope you followed her advice. :-)
Shannon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home