Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Simply magical...

With my summer break finally here, I'm back to work on my book, and on my TBR pile. I have so many wonderful books waiting, and wait they have through final report cards and various other end of the year duties. But now it's all done, and I once again have the time to let the books absorb me into their world.
My most recent one is The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. Shannon introduced me to this writer's books with her first one - Garden Spells. I fell in love with her lyrical writing, and her magical prose. The Sugar Queen is a fabulous sophomore release. All of her books have a touch of magic to them, and this book is no exception. It's never fully overt. We're not talking witches casting spells or Vampires running through the night after their prey. Instead it's more subtle. It's the young woman who mysteriously appears in Josey Cirrini's closet, refusing to leave. It's peppermint oil on thresholds to ward off evil. It's books that know exactly when the reader needs them, and keep following until she's willing to pick them up.
The Sugar Queen is a beautifully written must read for the summer. Enjoy!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

OH, yeah! glad you liked it!

Shannon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home