Friday, October 31, 2008

Bad books...

We here it all the time. You can have an alpha male hero, but you must make him sympathetic. There has to be something redeeming to make the reader (or if it's a movie, the watcher), root for him. Fail to gain my endorsement and you lose any ability to keep my attention.
Which is what happened over the weekend. Thank goodness I brought another book with me.
I tried. Honestly. I read 100 pages. But by page 100, I still couldn't stand the hero. He was an arrogant jerk with no redeeming qualities that I could find. And I looked. Hard.
The heroine was nice enough. But even she began to wear thin. If the hero had been more likeable, I would have gotten past it pretty quickly.
All of this wouldn't be quite so sad, except the author is one I usually enjoy a lot. That I couldn't read more than 100 pages of her latest tells me that maybe I won't be reading too many more.
And that makes me sad.
So word of advice for all my writer readers, make me like the hero. It can make all the difference.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home