Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Synopsis hell...

Some of you may remember the memory key fiasco of last spring. Thanks to it, I spent the better part of two weeks not working on my new book. Instead I was re-reading my 4th manuscript (the one I finished almost a year ago), and trying to recreate my original synopsis. I was bitter through the whole thing. Writing a synopsis is hard enough. Revising and editing it? Painful, but doable. But rewriting completely from scratch? There's not much in life I dread more.
But I got to work and I did it. I finished the synopsis. I sent in the requested manuscript partials, and I got back to work on my new book.
That is, until I sat down to write last night. On a fluke, I checked something on my Alphasmart. It has 8 "files", but it also has an additional limited amount of space. So if I were to open a new file over the old, it would push it out of the "file" but not off the system.
And wouldn't you know it, as soon as I peaked into the directory what do you think was there smiling at me? Mocking me with it's one word file name?
The synopsis.
Yup, I found the original. Just in time to finish printing (another story in and of itself) up copies for my Golden Heart entry. Now I have to sit down and re-read both to figure out which is better. But you know it'll be the original.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be so sure about that. Your subconscious mind has been working on the synopsis all these months and probably found ways to improve upon what you wrote in that original draft. I'll be surprised if you find it's noticeably better.

Either way, you can now pull the best from each and create an outstanding version!

Good luck on your submissions and contest entry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home