Thursday, November 27, 2008

Time to be thankful...

Every year during the Jewish High Holidays, I think about the year before and think about how I can be a better person in the upcoming year. Not that I'm fabulous as I am, but more that I know I can do better in some areas. I used to be more active with community service, and this is something I miss. But I also know realistically my time is short these days, and growing shorter.

Still it's no excuse not to help out.

The Jewish tradition of Tzadekah (literally: charity, but it means so much more), is certainly an area I can improve upon. In that vein, I have a story to share.
Most of you who read regularly know I work for Weight Watchers. Some of you may even be members. Recently they launched a nation-wide campaign to help fight a growing problem in the world - hunger. Specifically, the fact that at this point in time, most of our food banks are dangerously low, if not empty, regarding donations. People simply aren't giving as much because they aren't getting as much. To that effect WW ran the Lose for Good Campaign. The basic premise was that for every pound lost over a 6 week period, you would donate a pound of food. If a certain level was reached, the organization would donate up to $1 million to two hunger-relief organizations. Impressive, I know. But not as impressive as some of these numbers:

  • Members and staff lost a combined total of 4 million pounds

  • A local food bank, donated to by the center I worked with received more than 2,000 pounds of food just in the nick of time.

  • over 2,060 local food drives were held, many collecting up to 3,000 pounds each.

  • 1.5 million pounds of food were donated to local food banks around the country

I'll be honest, when I heard numbers like this, I cried. It's amazing to me how much can be done when we just set our minds to it, and look how many benefit from it.

This is what I'm thankful for this season: the human spirit. Sometimes I worry we've forgotten how to care for one another, in a world where all we seem to do is rush around. But then there are days when I'm reminded how blessed we really are.

So here's to a wonderful Thanksgiving. May your tables be bountiful and your day filled with joy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home