Friday, December 12, 2008

Dinner with Mom

Mom's back in town after her jaunt to Mexico over Thanksgiving weekend, and H is on his way back to health and actually traveled for work again. All of this means Mom and I had the place to ourselves when we decided to have dinner last night.
Family relationships have always been interesting. The play a large role in my writing, because they play a large role in my life. Of course, the moms in my books tend to be more of a caricature, than like my own Mom. With good reason, really. She's one of my best friends. If I don't talk to her in a week, it feels weird. If I don't see her at least once in two weeks? Even weirder.
I bring this all up because it's that time of year again...family time. For some it's a time of terror. Trapped with their family over a holiday meal for more than 30 min.? Run for the hills!
For others, it's a time they look forward to all year long.
For me, it's a time of balance. We'll have our family Hanukkah party next weekend, and another one with friends later that week. There are work parties (both for me and the boy), friend parties, non-parties...and a nap.
I'm exhausted just reading my list, but this may be because I'm so very ready for Winter Break already. I want to curl up on my couch with a mug of tea, a blanket, and the rest of seasons 2.5 and 3 of Battlestar Galactica (because no, I have not finished watching them).
So bring on the family time. I'm ready for it! Are you?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home