Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The crazy thing is...

The crazy thing around here may, in fact, be me.
There are some days, as a writer, when you simply need to hit the panic button and run screaming from the room. These days are usually closely correlated to those days when the manuscript simply refuses to do what you want it to do.
Some (ahem, Serena) would say this problem stems from me flying by the seat of my pants (forever known in the future as being a Pantser), and not plotting enough.
I think it means I've hit about a third of the way through the book. There's frequently those days of panic. Every time I sit down to write the words come out like blood from a stone. I sit and type, and erase and type some more, and erase and...well, you get the picture.
Writing is hard work. No one told me this when I was a kid, so I make sure to tell all my students this...just in case they are crazy like me and want to write. Writing is hard. It's not all flowing prose and wonderfully colorful scenes. (Unless, of course, those scenes are entirely about the colors of the room. In which case, I probably don't want to read the book. Sorry!)
Frankly, I think writing should come with a warning label. "Write at your own risk. May lose sanity in the process."
Or does the fact that I write mean I lost my sanity a long time ago?
Oy.
Either way, I love writing. There's nothing I like better than a scene coming together.

Now if only this scene would come together...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who could never write a book by the seat of my pants (I know, I tried it on my first manuscript and it ended up not having a plot for the whole 400 pages!) I'll have to agree with Serena on this one. :-)

I'll also add to your warning about writing to include a disclaimer about trying to become published as a writer. That pursuit is driving me insane! Lol!

Good luck on this scene coming together!

Kelli

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

meh- sanity is over rated. : )

As one pantster to another- it can be done!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I've been looking into inventing the brain-to-computer USB cord that will let you download all ideas and scenes straight into a file without having to go through the grueling process of actually typing them. I've always found that it's the brain-to-fingers-to-keyboard-to-file interface that gives me the most problems.

And writers are crazy because even though it's hard and gut-wrenching and irritating we can't stop doing it. But it's a good kind of crazy. =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home