Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How DO you do it?

Every writer has heard the question. "How do you do it? How do you sit down and write a whole book?" Or even better, "I wish I could write a book. I have this great idea..."
Recently it's come out to more of my coworkers that I write. I've never kept it secret, but it's also not something you usually bring up at the latest staff meeting. Still, the question was asked, "How do you find the time?"
Ah, time.
So elusive.
See, here's the thing. I don't know that I FIND time. I MAKE time, certainly, but it's not something I usually run across at the grocery store.
Personally, I blame my upbringing. Mom has never been good at just sitting back and relaxing. She's always felt she needed to be up and about, doing, being productive in order to feel worthy. Okay, you say, so it was modeled to you.
Weeeeelll, not exactly. I also attended a school for 14 years that strongly believed in their motto, "A strong mind, in a strong body." They ran us ragged from early on. Sports, clubs, community service, school work...you name it, they threw it at us. And there was no room for slacking, either. They fostered a healthy edge of competition everywhere you turned.
So what was a girl to do? Learn how to make time, of course. On top of all that was required, there was also the stuff I wanted to do, like reading and writing. I learned to get to school extra early so I could sneak into the computer lab and work on my latest short story. I learned to actually use my study halls to, gasp, study! Then, when I finally got home at 0-dark thirty, I'd be able to crawl on to my bed and read.
These habits have stuck with me to today. It's why I'm able to juggle all that I do. It's also why I have a horrible time actually relaxing. Once summer break comes around, it'll take me about a week or longer to truly accept that I have the entire day to do what I want, when I want.
Despite the drawbacks, the hectic schedule, and the manaical gleam often found in my eyes, I wouldn't have it any other way. I like keeping busy. I enjoy the challenge of balancing it all. Do I wish the balancing act were a little easier? Sure. But it's an important part of what has made me successful to this point. So I guess I'll keep at it.
For now.
*****
Please note, if the contest win from last week isn't claimed by Friday, I'll be posting another opportunity to win Gerri Russell's latest WARRIOR'S LADY.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Genella deGrey said...

UGH!
You've got email!

G.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Genella deGrey said...

Now to respond to your blog . . .

I like the challenge of the balance too, but I wouldn't mind doing the act from home! :)

I'm finding that book promoting via the internet sucks up time like a Hoover. I'll look up from my monitor and find that it's noon or after!

Heck, it's almost that now! (I'm in CA.)

:)
G.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home