Thursday, July 07, 2011

Did everyone have fun?

I'm back from RWA's National Conference, and finally caught up on all mail, cleaning, and email.  It's amazing how much that piles up when you're not looking. 
I hope you all had a good time, and that those who couldn't go this year got together with other writer friends and still had a good time.  It's so important to have that time with like-minded individuals.  It's easy, in the days of email and internet to forget how important actual face-time is.  This is true in any industry, but especially in the writing world.  We are a solitary industry.  We sit in front of our computers and we type away.  We might call up a friend to moan or complain.  We might get online and vent our frustration at how long this process can take sometimes.  But face-time is so very important.  
I have a group of ladies I meet with at least once a month, without fail.  If one of us has a conflict we do everything we can to reschedule.  If rescheduling is impossible, we'll sometimes make a second meeting just so we can get together.  At Conference I met up with a girlfriend who I haven't seen in almost 6 years (seriously, Karina, that's too long).  It was like no time had passed us by.  
These face to face meetings recharge me.  They energize and feed my soul in a way that email and facebook simply can't.  
So what about you?  How do you get your face-time in?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home