Monday, August 22, 2011

Creativity...

Most people I know need some kind of creative outlet.  They write fiction, take photos, make scrapbooks, sing, dance, and the list goes on.  Which got me thinking about a peculiar phenomenon I noticed.  Creativity in one area can sometimes sap our creative activity for another area. 
For example, several years ago I knew several scrapbookers.  They were very talented, and I loved their creations.  But they found that when they spent time scrapbooking, it left little creativity behind for their writing.  
Which of course, got me thinking.  Is it truly that there was no creativity left?  Is it that they only had so much energy and time to spare?  Is it that their brain needed an outlet, and once achieved went to sleep? 
I don't know the answer for sure.  But I do know that when I'm in the thick of things, and writing my heart out, I don't have the time or desire to spend putting together photo albums.  I have to put all my creative juice into my writing.  
What about you?  How does your creativity work?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I agree with the scrapbooker...If I'm being creative in one area (I used to tole paint and make a lot of crafts to sell), I have nothing left for writing. Now, I think maybe if I didn't also have a full-time job taking up my time, writing would be more of the work and the creativity could have another outlet. I'm not willing to test that theory now though. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home