Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Make time to take care of you...

Okay, time to 'fess up.  We've all done it.  We've all promised to ________ (fill in the blank with your choice: go see your doctor/chiropractor/dentist/acupuncturist, go get a manicure/pedicure, get a massage, go to the beach, read a book, watch a movie).  And we've all used the regular excuse of not having time or money to do so.  
Well, it's time to take a step back and re-evaluate.  It's no secret I've dealt with hand problems for the last several years.  It's also no secret that in recent months I've finally moved a whole lot closer to being back to normal.  
The reason? I started taking care of myself.  For years I've talked about going to get a massage once a month, or once every other month, you know the drill.  Then a month passes and funds are low, so I don't go.  And I don't go.  And again I don't go.  Let's face it, few of us can afford the $70+ it costs for a good one hour massage.  Instead they become little treats that we hold out for.  Last spring I stopped making excuses for not taking care of myself enough.  I had a choice.  I could continue to lived a stress-filled, pain-filled life, or I could do something about it.  About that time I saw a physical therapist and started taking advantage of a little known benefit in my health insurance...massage therapy. 
That's right folks.  For simply the cost of a co-pay, I'm getting twice monthly massages, and I feel great!  My stress levels are lower, and most importantly my body feels good.  
Now, I'm not telling all of you to go get a massage every other week, or to spend lots of money.  What I'm telling you to do is to start making the time for you.  Make that doctor appointment.  Go see a chiropractor or acupuncturist.  Go get a manicure, or treat yourself to lunch out.  Don't break the bank, but do treat yourself well. 
So tell me, what have you done lately to take care of you?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleep when the baby sleeps. Right now, that's my height of luxury (well, that and a much-needed pedicure).

I hope to get a massage SOON!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Kate, from everyone I know who has had children recently that's their most common advice. Definitely get your sleep while you can!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home