Sunday, August 07, 2011

Meditation

Okay, raise your hand if you can successfully meditate for more than 10 minutes at a time?  If you're like me, your hand is down in your lap and you're currently glancing awkwardly around the room.  Meditation and I are not friends in the strictest meaning of the word.  Don't get me wrong, I've tried.  I've tried so many times I should get a gold star for effort.  I've taken meditation classes, yoga classes, I've listened to CDs and videos online. 
I sometimes feel I've tried it all, and failed.
And as you all know, I don't take failure lightly. 
But while taking with my good friend The Happy Writer, I realized something (as I often do after talking with friends).  I realized that I actually do meditate, in my own way. It's just that others may not see it as meditation.  I meditate by getting out of my own head.  I go for a swim, or a walk, or a bike ride.  I put on my headphones and I just move.  I listen to the music instead of my own thoughts, and when those thoughts intrude, I take them in, then move on.  I don't dwell in them, but let them flit in and out. 
Most important, I find that when I come home, I'm ready to face whatever it is I need to face.  I'm ready to write, or deal with work.  I can think more clearly. 
So for those of you who find traditional meditation too difficult, give it a try.  Let me know what you think.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home