Saturday, October 15, 2011

Take time, take 2

A couple of months ago I talked about taking care of yourself.  In the past, this concept has mostly fallen by the wayside in the fall when I start back at work.  I find that I'm often working longer hours during that time.  Add in time with friends and family (relaxing), and that leaves less time for actually taking care of myself.  In this case, I'm talking about things like getting enough sleep, eating right, and exercising often enough.  Let's face it, it's easy to let these three things slide.  We want to see friends so we go out to dinner.  Mamma Mia is on t.v. so we stay up late on a work-night to watch it.  Since we went out to dinner with our friend, and because we're tired, we skip the gym.
They add up.
This year I challenged myself to not fall down that path.  I challenged myself to get my 8 hours of sleep a night, to not eat out as much, and to keep up with my exercise.  It's not always easy, and takes a lot of planning.  And let's face it, most night it's more like 7 or 7.5 hours.  I'm still seeing friends and family, just not as frequently.  Instead, I'm making myself a priority. 
The funny thing about it?  My friends totally get it.  I thought they'd feel left behind, or upset that they didn't see me enough.  Instead?  They are either looking for activities we can do together that let me get my workouts in (hike anyone?) or they're meeting me for a quick coffee instead of a full meal.  It takes a little less time, but let's me still get to meet up with my friends. 


So I challenge you: put yourself first.  Put your writing, your body, your needs first.  Believe it or not?  Those who love you will be more supportive than you think.  And you will reap the benefits.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home